How to Enforce a Child Custody or Visitation Order in Your State
Updated: 2020-06-23
How State Courts make Child Custody Decisions
What State Residents Need To Know About How to Get Custody of a Child

If your child's other parent has been violating your parenting agreement, you can take steps to enforce it. Your options depend on whether or not a judge approved your plan. When a judge signs off on a custody or visitation agreement, it becomes a court order. The order is then legally binding on both parents and easier to enforce.

Without a court order, police or the courts can enforce your custody agreement only if a child is in immediate danger. If you are afraid for your child's safety, don't hesitate to call the local police.

After you have a court order, your enforcement options include:

  • negotiating with the other parent to reach an agreement that works better
  • asking the police to step in and help, and
  • reporting the other parent's behavior to the family court judge.

To learn more about each of these options, choose your state from the list below.

SPONSORED FORM: The information provided on is free because local lawyers are willing to pay us for the privilege of allowing them to connect with you to discuss your child custody problem. is not affiliated with any lawyer or firm that may contact you when you submit your contact information in this form.

Connect with a Family Lawyer Serving your zip code

You may also be interested in:

Learn about the child custody resources available to you at the Family Court in your county.