5 Tips For Using ChatGPT 4.0 To Research Local Law and Procedure
1. It's all about the prompts, about the prompts...
ChatGPT is only as smart as you prompt it to be.
- If you ask a general question, you'll get a general answer.
- If you ask a specific question, you'll get a specific answer.
- But if you ask a specific question that it doesn't know, it may give you an answer anyway and it may well be wrong.
So it's important to ask questions that make sense and are in sufficient detail to get quality answers, and even then, you have to check them.
How you ask the question matters a lot. The more you phrase your question using legally precise terminology, the more likely you will get a good response.
2. Always ask for "citations," and be clear about whether you mean URLs or statutes, and then check to see if the citations are real
One tip is to ask for citations, which sometimes will give you just a URL to a website. If you want citations to California law or statutes, it's better to spell that out. If you want both, say so. more...