What California Residents Need to Know About Obamacare for 2020
The Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, has NOT been struck down or repealed. In California, open enrollment for 2020 health insurance opens on October 15, 2019.
This website provides information about getting health insurance under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), including:
- whether you must get health insurance
- what the available plans cover
- how much coverage will cost
- how to sign up for a plan
- how to get help if you need it.
To begin, keep in mind these key points about health insurance in California:
1. California law requires you to have health insurance.
The federal tax penalty for going without health insurance ended in 2019, but a handful of states, including California, have enacted laws to replace it. If you are uninsured in 2020 and you don't qualify for an exemption, you'll face a penalty when you file your California taxes in 2021.