Here's the information to gather before you visit Massachusetts Health Connector to apply for health insurance:
- Your household size. HealthCare.gov offers a tool to help you figure out who to include in your household.
- Birth dates, Social Security numbers, and addresses for everyone in your household applying for coverage.
- Proof that you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or "lawfully present" in the United States.
- Employer and income information for each member of your household. Include all income sources, such as your earnings from work, pensions, alimony, rental property, and other income. If you have a job, gather together pay stubs or W-2 forms. If you’re self-employed, have last year’s tax return handy, as well other records that can help you estimate your yearly income.
- Your estimated household income for the coverage year. (For example, if you're applying in November of 2020 for coverage the next year, estimate your household income for 2021.)
- Policy numbers and any Plan ID numbers for current health insurance plans covering you or other members of your household.
- If you or anyone in your household is eligible for job-based health insurance, information about the plan costs and coverage for each available plan. (The Employer Coverage Tool offered by HealthCare.gov can help with this step.)
- A good idea of your budget for health insurance, so you know how much you can afford to spend each month. This will help you choose the best plan from among those offered to you.
Finally, keep a list of any questions you want answered before you sign up for a health insurance plan. To get answers to many basic questions or for information on signing up for a plan, see How Do I Sign Up for Obamacare in Massachusetts?