What You Need to Know About Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi
This site provides clear, accurate information on collecting unemployment benefits in Mississippi, including:
- whether you are eligible for benefits
- how to apply for benefits
- how much you'll get (and how long your benefits will last)
- what you'll have to do to keep collecting benefits, and
- what to do if your application is denied.
Here are three key things to keep in mind as you get started:
1. You can apply for benefits -- and find helpful resources -- at the Mississippi Department of Employment Security website.
Before you file for unemployment, you may want to learn more by reading our articles on benefit amounts, who qualifies for benefits, and so on. Once you're ready to file, you can do it online. And, you can find detailed information and resources at the Mississippi Department of Employment Security website, including:
- Mississippi's online portal where you can file your claim for benefits
- the Weekly Claims Procedures page, where you can learn how to file your weekly claims for benefits in Mississippi once your application is approved
- Work Search Requirements, which explains the work search requirements you will have to meet in Mississippi in order to keep receiving benefits
- UI Claimant Handbook, a detailed guide to collecting unemployment in Mississippi, and
- information about how and when to file an appeal in Mississippi if your application for benefits is denied.
2. Eligibility rules, benefit amounts, and duration differ from state to state.
Unemployment insurance works pretty much the same everywhere: Employers pay into a fund or purchase insurance, then former employees receive benefits when they lose their jobs. But the rules about who qualifies for unemployment, how long unemployment lasts, and especially how much you will receive in benefits vary a lot from state to state.
Our site covers every state and the District of Columbia; this page gives you information specific to Mississippi.
3. You may be eligible for benefits even if you quit, you were fired for cause, or you are still working part-time.
Some people mistakenly believe that unemployment is available only to employees who are laid off. However, you don't have to lose your job in a layoff to qualify for benefits. The key question is whether you are out of work without fault on your part. So, if you were forced to quit your job in lieu of being fired, or you were fired because you don't have the necessary skills for your job, you could still be eligible for benefits.
Learn about the self-help resources available to you at Mississippi Job Centers.
Mississippi Unemployment Law
What You Need to Know About Unemployment Benefits in MississippiEach state has its own rules on eligibility, benefits amounts, applying for benefits, and more.
How Do I Apply for Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi?Learn how to apply for unemployment benefits in Mississippi, what information you'll need to complete the application, and what steps to take after you apply.
Checklist: Information You'll Need to File for UnemploymentFind out what you will need on hand to apply for unemployment benefits in Mississippi and where to go for a complete list.
What Do I Have to Do to Keep Receiving Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi?Learn the requirements for continuing to receive unemployment benefits in Mississippi and how and where to apply for weekly unemployment benefits.
Am I Eligible for Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi?To qualify for unemployment benefits in Mississippi, you must meet a minimum earnings requirement and you must be unemployed through no fault of your own.
How Much Will I Collect in Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi?Learn the formula Mississippi uses to calculate your unemployment benefits, as well as the minimum and maximum amounts you can collect.
How Long Will My Unemployment Benefits Last in Mississippi?Find out how many weeks of unemployment benefits are available in Mississippi; pandemic emergency unemployment compensation is covered, too.
Current Minimum and Maximum Benefit Amounts in MississippiFind out the weekly unemployment benefit limits in Mississippi.
Mississippi Unemployment OfficeFind the nearest unemployment offices in Your County, and how to reach them
Coronavirus Unemployment Benefits No Longer AvailableWhat you should know about collecting unemployment if you are out of work due to COVID-19.
COVID-19 and Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi FAQGet answers to common questions about unemployment for those who have lost work due to COVID-19.
Can I Collect Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi If I Was Wrongfully Terminated?If you were fired for illegal reasons, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits.
Can I Appeal a Denial of Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi?Find out how to appeal if your unemployment benefits claim is denied by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Get Unemployment Benefits in Mississippi?Find out how and when to consider hiring a lawyer to help with your unemployment claim.
Paying an Unemployment Lawyer in MississippiLearn about costs in an unemployment claim or appeal in Mississippi.
How Can I Find an Unemployment Lawyer in Mississippi?Use these resources to find an unemployment attorney in Mississippi.