How Do I Apply for Unemployment Benefits in California?
California's unemployment insurance agency website gives you the information you need to apply for unemployment insurance in California. The California Employment Development Department’s website tells you:
- What information you’ll need on hand to apply for unemployment insurance benefits
- How to apply online for unemployment insurance benefits
- How to apply for unemployment insurance benefits by phone by calling the California Employment Development Department at 800-300-5616
- How to calculate the amount of unemployment insurance benefits you can receive, and
- What to do to keep receiving unemployment insurance benefits in California.
Where's the California Unemployment Insurance Agency?
Most applications for unemployment insurance benefits in California can be filed online or by phone, so you don’t need to go to the California Employment Development Department offices in person. California's unemployment insurance agency website gives instructions on how to file an application for benefits.
If you prefer not to file online, you can find out about other ways to file by calling 800-300-5616 .
Getting Help Online or By Phone
If you want to talk to a live person, or if you want to find out how to apply for benefits with a paper form, you can talk to a representative of the California Employment Development Department at 800-300-5616 .
You may also be interested in:
Learn the formula California uses to calculate your unemployment benefits, as well as the minimum and maximum amounts you can collect.
Learn how to find and contact the California unemployment agency.
Find out how to file your unemployment application.