Updated: 2021-05-04 by
Whether you file for unemployment online, in person, or by phone, use this checklist to make sure you have all of the information and documents you'll need:
- basic personal information, including your name, address, phone number, and Social Security number
- information on all employers you have worked for in the last year and a half, including the company's name, address, and phone number; the start and end dates of your employment; and your earnings
- the last date you worked for your previous employer
- the reason why you are no longer working for your previous employer
- information on payments you are receiving or expect to receive from your previous employer, such as severance pay, and
- if you are not a United States Citizen, your alien registration number.
You can find out whether you'll need additional documents or information by contacting the California Employment Development Department.
You may also be interested in:
Get a summary of what this website offers about unemployment insurance benefits and other legal questions you may have.
Learn what unemployment insurance benefits are and where to go in California to get more information about them.
Learn about the new unemployment programs available to those who have lost work due to the coronavirus public health emergency.