Minimum Wage in Fairfield County, Connecticut

Shelton, Connecticut 06484


Shelton, CT Minimum Wage and Wage Claims

What Is the Minimum Wage in Shelton, CT?

You are entitled to the highest minimum wage that applies where you work, whether set by your city, county, or state government. (Most cities and counties don’t have their own minimum wage laws.)

Fairfield County Minimum Wage

The minimum wage in Fairfield County is $15 an hour, the state minimum wage. 

Connecticut Minimum Wage

The minimum wage in Connecticut is $15.69 an hour. Because this is higher than the federal minimum wage of $7.25, employees in Connecticut must be paid at least $15.69 an hour. 

For more information on the minimum wage in Connecticut, see 

What Is the Tipped Minimum Wage in Shelton, CT?

Some states and local governments allow employers to pay tipped employees a lower minimum hourly wage; others don't. 

Connecticut Tipped Minimum Wage

In Connecticut, your employer may pay you a minimum wage of $6.38 an hour (or $8.23 an hour, if you work as a bartender), as long as you earn enough in tips to bring your total hourly pay up to the full minimum wage, $15.69 an hour. If you don’t earn enough in tips to bring your compensation to the full minimum wage, your employer must make up the difference.


Who Enforces Shelton, CT Minimum Wage Laws?

Connecticut Enforcement Agency

If you have questions about Connecticut's minimum wage, contact the

Connecticut Department of Labor


Phone: 860-263-6790

To find the nearest office of the Connecticut Department of Labor, see

How to File a Wage Claim in Shelton, CT

If you were not paid the minimum wage in Shelton, CT, you may have the right to file a wage claim or complaint with a government agency. Be sure to look at the wage claim materials (below) for the agency that enforces the law you believe was violated, whether city, county, or state. 

All jurisdictions impose a time limit on how far back you may claim unpaid wages, so it's important to file your claim quickly. There may be other restrictions on the claims you may file, such as dollar-amount limits or limits on the agency’s ability to force employers to comply with the law. You may be required to ask your employer to pay you correctly before you file a claim. And, you almost always have the option to go straight to court and file a lawsuit instead of filing a wage claim with a government agency. For these reasons, it often makes sense to talk to an experienced wage and hour lawyer to make sure you know all of your options, understand the strength of your claims, and decide how to proceed.

Filing a Wage Claim with the Connecticut Department of Labor

You can find information and forms to file a wage claim with the Connecticut Department of Labor at its website. 


Get Help With Shelton, CT Wage Claims and Lawsuits

If you are considering filing a wage claim or lawsuit, you may want to speak to a local wage and hour attorney. The resources below can help you find a lawyer near you.

Shelton, CT Free or Low-Cost Legal Assistance

Legal aid offices provide free legal assistance to low-income people. Typically, you must qualify for legal aid based on your income. Visit CTLawHelp to find local resources and legal aid offices.

Some law schools have free legal clinics that provide assistance with specific problems, including wage and hour issues and other employment matters. Find a list of law schools offering legal clinics on a variety of issues at the American Bar Association Center for Pro Bono.


Shelton, CT Lawyer Directories

Lawyer Referral Services in Connecticut. Check with the Connecticut Bar Association for information on lawyer referral services in Shelton, CT. Lawyer referral services match people with attorneys who specialize in particular legal fields, such as wage and hour law.

NELA’s “Find-A-Lawyer” Service. Search the National Employment Lawyer’s Association’s membership to find Shelton, CT lawyers who specialize in wage and hour claims and other employment issues.


Free Overtime Case Evaluation For Shelton, CT

Do you have questions about whether you're getting the wages you're entitled to in Connecticut? Use the form below to connect with a lawyer through the Nolo / Martindale network of overtime lawyers.
SPONSORED FORM - Nolo/Martindale Attorney Network