What California Residents Need to Know About Obamacare for 2020
UPDATE: Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, Covered California is OPEN until at least June 30 for new health insurance signups.
This website provides information about getting health insurance under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), including:
- whether you must get health insurance
- what the available plans cover
- how much coverage will cost
- how to sign up for a plan
- how to get help if you need it.
To begin, keep in mind these key points about health insurance in California:
1. California law requires you to have health insurance.
The federal tax penalty for going without health insurance ended in 2019, but a handful of states, including California, have enacted laws to replace it. If you are uninsured in 2020 and you don't qualify for an exemption, you'll face a penalty when you file your California taxes in 2021. more...