Bankruptcy Forms FAQ

Your questions about bankruptcy forms

Last Reviewed: Tue, Apr 27, 2021

I Top

Where can I get bankruptcy forms for free?

Where can I get bankruptcy forms for free?

Your local court website will have a links to free copies of downloadable PDF files s of the federal and local forms.

The main site for federal forms can be found at

To file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy the main forms include:

  1. Voluntary Petition for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy (Form 101): This form initiates the bankruptcy process by providing basic debtor information. (

  2. Schedule A/B: Property (Form 106A/B): This form lists all your real and personal property. (

  3. Schedule C: The Property You Claim as Exempt (Form 106C): This form lists the property you're claiming as exempt under federal or state law. (

  4. Schedule D: Creditors Who Hold Claims Secured by Property (Form 106D): This form lists all secured creditors and their claims. (

  5. Schedule E/F: Creditors Who Have Unsecured Claims (Form 106E/F): This form lists all unsecured creditors and their claims. (

  6. Schedule I: Your Income (Form 106I): This form lists all your sources of income. (

  7. Schedule J: Your Expenses (Form 106J): This form lists all your monthly expenses. (

  8. Statement of Financial Affairs for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy (Form 107): This form provides information about your financial history, transactions, and other financial details. (

  9. Statement of Intention for Individuals Filing Under Chapter 7 (Form 108): This form indicates your intention to either retain or surrender the property associated with secured debts. (

  10. Means Test Calculation (Form 122A-1 & 2): This form determines if you are eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy by analyzing your income and expenses. (

I Top

Does the court supply instructions with the bankruptcy forms?

Instructions are provided with most forms.

For up to date instructions, you can buy Nolo's book, How to File for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. You'll not only get instructions for all forms, but also step by step guidance throughout the entire bankruptcy process.

I Top

What is PDF?

PDF stands for "Portable Document Format" which is a format created by the Adobe company and supported by their free Acrobat Reader. (Other companies also produce software that can create and read PDF files.)

PDF is also the format that lawyers use electronic filing.

See also, Where can I download Acrobat Reader?


I Top

How can I get copies of my filed tax returns?

From the IRS website:

If you need an exact copy of a previously filed and processed return and all attachments (including Form W-2 (PDF)), you must complete Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return and mail it to the IRS address in the instructions along with a $39 fee for each tax year requested. Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past 6 years.

In cases where an exact copy of the return is not needed, tax return and transcripts may be ordered. The tax return transcript shows most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. In most cases, a tax return transcript will meet the requirements for lending institutions for mortgage verification purposes.

The transcript can be ordered by completing a Form 4506-T (PDF) or calling (800) 829-1040 and following the prompts in the recorded message. There is no charge for the transcript and you should receive it in 10 business days from the time the IRS receives your request. Tax return transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years. If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, you must request a "Tax Account Transcript". This transcript shows basic data including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income, taxable income, payments and adjustments made on your account. Tax return and account transcripts are generally available for the current and past 3 years.

Form 4506-T (PDF) can also be used to get proof from the IRS that you did not file a tax return for a particular tax year.

Forms can be downloaded at Forms & Pubs or ordered by calling (800) 829-3676.





Jurisdictional relevance:

There are versions of this article for each State.