What District of Columbia Residents Need to Know About Obamacare for 2020
UPDATE: Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, DC Health Link is OPEN for new health insurance signups.
This website provides information about getting health insurance under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), including:
- whether you must get health insurance
- what the available plans cover
- how much coverage will cost
- how to sign up for a plan
- how to get help if you need it.
To begin, keep in mind these key points about health insurance in the District of Columbia:
1. District of Columbia law requires you to have health insurance.
The federal tax penalty for going without health insurance ended in 2019. But the District passed a law to take its place. The health insurance mandate, called the Individual Tax Payer Health Insurance Responsibility Requirement, says that D.C. residents must have health insurance that meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.