Chapter 7 Checklist
NOTE: Effective December 1, 2015, most Official Bankruptcy Forms are scheduled to be replaced with substantially revised versions. The revised forms and other related information can be found on the U.S. Courts website at Pending Changes in the Bankruptcy Forms. The revised forms MUST be used as of December 1, 2015.
Most of the forms in the checklists are in fillable PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files and PDF fill-in forms. Adobe Acrobat is required to save PDF fill-in forms.Download Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download the Adobe Acrobat Reader app for your mobile device
The following are required to start the bankruptcy (minimum filing requirements):
- Voluntary petition (Form B1) Must be signed by the debtor(s). Pro se debtors must include a day time phone number with area code.
- Form B1 - Exhibit D to Voluntary Petition - Individual Debtor's Statement of Compliance with Credit Counseling Requirement.
- Creditor Matrix may be submitted in paper form. If you are filing a new case in person at the Bankruptcy Court you can type up and submit the mailing matrix via this link.
- Statement of Social Security Number(s) (Form B21) signed by debtor(s). Non-debtor spouse information should be added to Form B21. Privacy Notice
- Certificate of credit counseling and debt repayment plan if any. Visit the U.S. Trustee's site to find information on credit counseling and debtor education.
- Filing fee, or an application to pay filing fees in installments, (Form B3 A) or a fee waiver (Form B3 B). Qualifiying for a fee waiver Fees may be paid by cash, (note: cash is not accepted in the Eau Claire office) money order, or cashier's check. Personal checks will not be accepted. Make all fees payable to: U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
Bankruptcy Petition Preparers Only
- Form 19 - Declaration & Signature of Non-Attorney Bankruptcy Petition Preparer
- Form B280 - Statement disclosing compensation paid or to be paid to a bankruptcy petition preparer
Due within 14 calendar days after filing the voluntary petition:
- Copies of all payment advices (eg. pay stubs) or other evidence of payment received by the debtor from an employer within 60 days before filing the petition.
- Cover Sheet for Schedules (Form B6 Cover)
- Summary of Schedules (Form B6 Summary)
- Schedule A - Real Property (Form B6A)
- Schedule B - Personal Property (Form B6B)
- Schedule C - Property Claimed Exempt (Form B6C)
- Schedule D - Creditors Holding Secured Claims (Form B6D)
- Schedule E - Creditors Holding Unsecured Priority Claims (Form B6E)
- Schedule F - Creditors Holding Unsecured Nonpriority Claims (Form B6F)
- Schedule G - Executory Contracts & Unexpired Leases (Form B6G)
- Schedule H - Co-debtors (Form B6H)
- Schedule I - Current Income of Individual Debtor(s), (Form B6I)
- Schedule J - Current Expenditures of Individual Debtor(s) (Form B6J)
- Declaration of Debtor's Schedules (Form B6 Declaration)
- Statement of Financial Affairs (Form B7)
- Statement of Current Monthly Income & Means Test Calculation (Form B22A)
- Notice to Individual Consumer Debtor (Forms B201 A & B201 B)
ALERT-The National Guard and Reservists Debt Relief Act of 2008 became effective December 19, 2008. The Act provides a temporary exclusion for Chapter 7 debtor(s) from the bankruptcy means test for Reservists and members of the National Guard called for no less than 90 days to active duty or homeland defense activity following September 11, 2001.The amendment applies only to cases commenced in the three-year period beginning on the effective date of the Act.
Meeting of Creditors (341 Meeting)
Notice of bankruptcy case filing, meeting of creditors, & deadlines will be sent to the debtor and all creditors listed on the matrix within 7 to 10 business days. The debtor (both spouses in a joint case) must be present at the meeting to be questioned under oath by the trustee and by the creditors. Pro se debtors should also be familiar with Bankruptcy Code § 521, Rule 4002 of the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure.
- Due 7 days before the date set for the Section 341 meeting of creditors: Provide the trustee with a copy of the Federal income tax return (or transcript of return) for the most recent tax year ending before filing.
- More information on the Office of the U.S. Trustee.
Due within 30 calendar days after filing the voluntary petition:
- Debtor's Statement of Intention (Form B8)